how to package your services so you can earn more,
work less and deliver more value to your clients
Are you up against the revenue ceiling of hours times dollars per hour?
Do you love working 60+ hours a week, every week?
Some people brag about how many hours they work, but it’s no badge of honour. You’re not only heading for burnout – you’re also sacrificing yourself, your family and your friends in the process. That’s no life. Been there, done that and I’ll never go there again.
Is someone cheaper going to take you out of the market?
You will inevitably run into someone who claims they can do the same job for less – often much less. If your client starts talking about rates you’re in trouble – because now the conversation is about rates and not about business value. This is a race to the bottom – and you need to avoid it from the start.
Are you being penalised for your experience?
The better you get the faster you can get the job done, but if you’re charging by the hour all that happens is that you get to bill less – even when the value to your clients is so much higher. Increasing your rates can help a little, but there’s no real value in getting better or faster. But you need to get better and faster to make a better living…
So how do you earn more without working like a maniac or pricing yourself out of the market? And get rewarded for your expertise rather than being penalised?
Break through your revenue ceiling by productising your services
Productised services are services that are packaged, sold and delivered just like products. They have a fixed price, scope and deliverables – and they allow you to break through the ceiling imposed by billing by the hour.
When you productise your services, you anchor your price against the business value you deliver – not the time you spend delivering it. You have an incentive to get better and faster at what you do (rather than earning less because you’re faster), and you can scale your business by automating or outsourcing routine or lower-value tasks.
Productised services are easier to sell. The price is fixed up front so there’s no uncomfortable discussions about how much this is going to cost. Your clients are forced to clearly understand the business value they’re looking for, and they have a clear choice of what’s on the menu. You spend a lot less time doing discovery and writing proposals.
And most importantly, you turn from order taker to the expert your clients rely on to take their business forward.
Presenting the Productized Services step-by-step guide
If you’re tired of working longer hours to earn more, haggling about your rate or having to justify yourself against cheaper alternatives, this guide is for you.
What you will learn:
This is a practical, hands-on guide that will take you step by step from billing by the hour to delivering high-value services at premium prices. You will learn:
- how productised services work and why they’re better for you and your clients;
- how to design your product roadmap so that it’s easy to buy the first time and build up to larger offerings;
- how to design your products so you can deliver flawlessly every single time; and
- how to package and present your products for maximum sales conversion.
Even if you’re convinced going the productised route is the right thing to do, getting there can be difficult. This guide will help you get there step by step, removing the clutter and confusion so you can get there faster.
You’ll follow along as ACME Services (a fictitious company) goes from billing by the hour to productised services. Then I’ll show you examples of how this works in practice, with companies who have made this the mainstay of how they do business.
You’ll learn two power strategies (and a hidden superpower) that will help you design your productised services so that they are easy to buy and lead in easily to selling up.
What You Will Learn
Part 1: Understanding Productised Services
- Productised Services are like a box of cake mix. If your clients can’t figure out what you’re offering, you won’t be selling much of anything. But give them a name, an attractive picture, recipes, ingredients and nutritional information and you have all the elements of a well-designed product.
- Standardisation is key. You can’t scale your products if each one is totally different from the others. Here’s what you can standardise – and how.
- Productised services are good for you – and for your clients. It not only helps you scale your services, but it also provides better value to your clients by focusing on the business outcomes rather than the number of hours you spend on the job.
- Two power strategies for developing productised services. It may seem like a mystery, but designing productised services is a lot easier than you think with the 3-prong strategy, a product ladder and a hidden superpower.
Part 2: Productising Your Services
- The 3-step process for productising your services. It’s not quite as easy as 1-2-3, but follow this sequence and you will end up with great products that are easier to sell than your time – and a lot more profitable.
- Start with designing a product roadmap. How to create your product roadmap from your three superpowers and make it easy for clients to understand what they’re getting.
- What goes where? How to decide which parts of your services belong in which products so each one builds on the previous.
- How to design your products. There are three phases for each product, and you have to get each right to make sure you can deliver a 5-star experience for your clients.
- How a list of master templates will help you scale. Run your business as smoothly as possible by having master templates ready to roll when you need them.
- The power of product names: How using the right naming strategy will reinforce your brand and make your products more attractive.
- Pricing your products: Make it easier for your clients to decide how much risk they’re willing to take – and why you should never compete on price.
- Presenting your products on your website: How to structure your website to lead clients to the right product for them.
- The power of testimonials: Learn from one of the best in the world on how to get compelling testimonials that don’t sound like they were forced.
Part 3: Lessons From The Real World
- How outsourcing and automation helps scaling. You shouldn’t be spending time doing things you can outsource or automate. How you can plan for outsourcing and automation now.
- Best practices from me and others who have done this. These are the things we’ve learnt doing this for years now – and what I’ve seen users of this guide do that works.
- Common problems to avoid: Nothing ever goes quite as planned. Here are some of the things you’ll encounter and how to get around them.
- Real-world examples: Three examples from businesses that live productised services, and an in-depth analysis of how they do it.
This is not a dry textbook – inside you’ll find lots of images, diagrams, screenshots and easy-to-understand instructions to take you from billing by the hour to implementing your productised services.
Who This Is For
This guide is for you if:
- you run a non-regulated service business (you’re not a doctor, accountant or other profession regulated by your local government or professional association);
- you’re currently billing based on the time it takes to deliver your services; and
- you have enough experience to know where the traps are.
If you’re reading this, chances are you’re a solopreneur, freelancer or small business owner. You’re in the right place.
Why do you need experience?
To successfully productise your services you need experience. You need to be comfortable that you’ve seen enough different projects to know how long it will take to deliver something and to spot traps and pitfalls.
And you need experience to manage clients. Under a productised services model you’re in charge, you’re the expert they rely on, and you need to firmly steer your clients to where they need to be.
So if you’re comfortable that you have enough experience to understand what your clients need, and you can manage even demanding clients, you’re in the right place. You can work less, earn more and deliver better value – and get more of your life back.
A uniquely practical guide
I’m a service business. I provide consulting services to my clients and DIY guides like this for entrepreneurs like you. I’ve made the journey from being paid by the hour to only delivering productised services, and I’ve learnt what works and what doesn’t for me – and I’ve learnt from others who have done the same. I’m also a small business – a solopreneur to be exact – so I know what it’s like to not have a lot of time for anything that doesn’t deliver the goods.
So this guide is not just a lot of information; there’s no fluff and no padding. Just a how-to guide based on practical experience that you can use to turn your business around as well.
There are three parts:
- Understanding what productised services are, how they’re different from billing by the hour and, most importantly, why they’re better for you and for your clients.
- Productising your services using a three-step system, including designing a product roadmap and designing individual products.
- Lessons from the real world, where we look at what experience has taught us and how businesses are applying this today.
No fluff, no padding. Just what you need to get the job done.
The no-questions-asked no-reason-required money-back guarantee
I’m proud of my products and stand behind them 100%. So if you’re not completely satisfied that Productised Services will help you get out of billing by the hour by productising your services, I will refund you in full.
Here’s what you need to know:
This product is guaranteed for 30 days from your date of purchase. If for any reason you don’t like the product, you can email me within 30 days of your purchase date for a full refund. I will refund your full purchase with a smile.
Bonus report: Fear No More
Changing how you work is scary; there’s the fear of the unknown and the very real risk of losing revenue.
The “Fear No More” special report looks specifically at how you can overcome the fear of productising your services so you can work less, earn more and provide higher value to your clients.
You will learn:
- how to reduce the fear by understanding how everyone (you and your clients) benefits from productised services;
- how to reduce the fear further by making sure you are ready to make the switch;
- how to unpack and analyse the fear;
- how to plan best-case and worst-case scenarios; and
- how to mitigate your risk.
Normally priced at $49, I’m including it here for free.
Need some help?
Even with the guide and the bonus report you may still feel that you need some help. Are you approaching this the right way? Is your product roadmap right? Can you make it simpler, or add in missing elements? Is it priced right?
I’ve been through this myself and helped many entrepreneurs productise their services. I will be happy to help you as well through a one-on-one coaching session and unlimited email support.
Normally priced at US$230.00, I’m offering my regular Breakthrough Session at a substantial discount. Here’s how it works:
- Purchase the Premium version below.
- Download and work through the PDF’s.
- Start productising your services.
- Email me when you’re ready to talk and we’ll schedule the Breakthrough Session.
- The session is a 60-90 minute online video call where we’ll look at what you have. I will provide guidance and insights and answer any questions you may have.
- You get unlimited email support after the session.
My mission is to see you successful; so make use of this opportunity to get advice and guidance from someone who’s been there and done that.